Landlord 's Guide

Repairs and Maintenance
It’s your responsibility to keep the outside and inside of the property in good repair. This includes drains, gutters, external pipes, sheds, conservatories etc. water, gas and electric supplies, water heaters etc.
Furniture and Furnishings
It’s your responsibility to ensure that all furniture and furnishings including those in the garden and conservatories and patios comply with Fire and safety regulations. Non-compliant furniture must be removed. Most furniture purchased after 1988 from reputable suppliers should be labeled to indicate that it complies with the legislation.
Gas Safety Record
All gas appliances or pipe work installation must be checked annually by an approved Gas Safe registered engineer, who must produce written records.
Electrical Checks
You must ensure that electrical equipment is safe and a qualified electrician must certify that the equipment and installations are safe.
Meter Readings
It’s your responsibility to read meters and settle all gas, electricity council tax, water and any other utility accounts.
Tax & H M Revenue & Customs
It’s your responsibility to inform H M Revenue & Customs of rental income received, and to pay any tax due.
Landlords who are nonresident in UK must apply to H M Revenue & Customs for an exemption certificate.
Unless such a certificate is held, we will deduct tax and forward this amount of tax deducted to H M Revenue & Customs. We can provide you with a form to apply for an exemption, or you can download the form H M Revenue & Customs’ website.
An Inventory of Contents and Schedule of Condition are essential evidence, in case of damages, loss or deterioration of the property or contents.
If there is a dispute, but no Inventory and Check-In/Check-Out report, TDS may award the full deposit to the Tenant without any deduction for damages, loss or deterioration.
The Landlord usually pays the cost of Inventory.
The Landlord and Tenant share the costs of Check –In and Check –Out, unless agreed differently.
Energy Performance Certificate
Since 1st of October 2008, an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) - carried out by an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor - has been a legal requirement for property to let.
Houses in Multiple Occupations (HMOs)
Under the Housing Act 2004 Landlords of properties made up of three or more stories, and occupied by five or more people, must be licensed by their Local Authority. You need to check with your Local Authority if your property is classed as a HMO and if you need a license.
Gardens should be left clean, tidy and rubbish free, with any lawns cut. Tenants are required to maintain the garden to a reasonable standard, provided they are left the necessary tools.
Cleaning Service
Landlords are advised to have the Property (including carpets, windows - and possibly oven) professionally cleaned, before the tenancy - and to expect the Tenant(s) to do the same at the end of Tenancy.
Mail Redirection
Instruct the Post Office to redirect yourmail.If you’re overseas, mail should be redirected to a family friend or UK relative.
Before letting a leasehold property, you need the lease owner’s permission. You must supply the Agent and the Tenant with copies of the superior/head lease.
Mortgage Lenders
Ensure that you have written consent from your mortgage lender, before letting the property.
Ensure that you have the right Insurance Policy for Building and contents and Rent Guarantee schemes if suitable.
Instructions and Manuals
All the instructions and manuals for boiler, cooker, freezer, fridge, burglar alarms etc. should be left in a safe, readily accessed place
Restrictive Covenants
The Landlord should inform the Tenant of any restrictive covenants such as parking, hanging out washing etc.
Furnished or Unfurnished
If the property is let Unfurnished, you should provide carpets, curtains, garden tools and vacuum cleaner if appropriate. The Kitchen should have a cooker, a refrigerator and adequate storage for food and non-food items.

If the property is let Furnished, you should provide all the above, plus:
  • Fridge/ Freezer, washing machine, dishwashers, tumble driers and a microwave.
  • Cookery, cutlery and kitchenware.
  • Adequate storage facilities and bed in each bed room.
  • Dining table and chairs and suitable furniture for the sitting room.
  • Bedding items such as duvets and pillows.
Bed sheets, pillow cases and towels are optional - but all furniture and furnishing provided must comply with the Fire Resistance Requirements in Regulation 14 of the 1988 Regulations.

Mahadeo& Co. Estate Agents – Moving house made easier!
Mahadeo & Co - Moving house made easier!